With the Iowa caucuses behind us, and my Iowa trip behind me, we are ready to dive in with Brion Barnhill of Barnhill Chimney in Lexington, KY.
Interview – Brion Barnhill, Barnhill Chimney, Lexington, KY
Key points from the interview:
- Jumping right in to controversy with Worker’s Compensation…listen to his story and then remember that he’s on our show because he is successful. What is that HUGE issue you are afraid of that is staring you down and you think you’re going to be swallowed by?
- Another example of a home contracting professional opening their own store. What are you working on to diversify your offerings while staying true to your core business?
- My favorite quote of the podcast: “Making a better mousetrap doesn’t make a better business.”
- Brion’s a big fan of Skitch, but before you go looking for it: it is now only available on Mac. Android and iOS support are no longer provided, and if you didn’t download the software before January 22, 2016, you are out of luck. Those of you who downloaded it in the past, though, will still have access to use it and it should work fine…unless your operating system updates in the future render features useless.
- Another great concept is the “Today Is Chimney Day” slogan Brion’s orienting his business around. You, as a home contracting professional, have the homeowner’s attention, tuned to your area of expertise, today! Take the opportunity to give the homeowner the opportunity to solve all of their problems today by an extended use of your services.
- And how about the “Treehouse Masters” appearance? A wood stove in a treehouse? Look for episodes from Germantown, KY (and Baton Rouge, LA) and see if you can spot Brion!
- And lastly…The Firewall Grill, “don’t hide the flame!”. Check it out at www.firewallgrill.com.
Mailbag Question – We want to hear from you! Send us your questions!
Hope you enjoyed this episode…see you next time!
— Chris —