So many times we say things on Home Contractors HQ, and we may even convince ourselves that what we’re saying is the best and, daresay, only way to do things.
But there are plenty of successful entrepreneurs out there who buck the trend, swim upstream and make it happen day in and day out, year after year. I loved hearing Clay’s interview with Blume, because it reminded me of two things:
- There are many of you out there listening who just want to do your own thing and have no boss and no employees, and that is quite an accomplishment in and of itself. For those of you out there, hats off to you…and let us know what sorts of things we can discuss on the show that could be of help to you.
- Too many times we define “success” as monetary, and there are some things that money can’t buy, make us more fulfilled inside, and are what truly defines how “successful” we really are.
Key points from the interview:
- Blume’s book of success includes the policy to never price a job at a customer’s house…it gives him an opportunity to think about the job a bit, and take a fresh look at it in a day or two.
- Why are you taking a deposit? Blume’s no-nonsense approach – if you want me to do the work, you’ll be still wanting to do the work when my schedule frees up – may very well be a unique selling point that can put some customers at ease and earn their trust.
- If your path is one of the solo entrepreneur, be sure that you do everything you can to keep your word-of-mouth marketing going. Encourage customers who compliment your work to tell others about you.
- Blume says there are two simple rules to customer satisfaction: a) show up on time, and b) don’t pee in the corner!
- Blume likes to do an extra service here and there for free to make the customer even more satisfied. Clay’s suggestion: make sure you mark it on your invoice as done, maybe even with a standard “cost,” and mark “no cost.” This adds value to those free things you take care of for the customer.
- Make sure you “clean the speaker” also instead of just fixing the stereo…
Mailbag Question – We want to hear from you! Send us your questions!
Hope you enjoyed this episode…see you next time!
— Chris —