Home Contractors HQ Show Notes – Episode 2 – Jay Walker
Thanks for listening to our podcast! In case you missed some of the things we referenced in the episode, this is where you can come and follow up on the things we’ve discussed.
Interview – Jay Walker, Jay Walker Enterprises, Tallahassee, FL
I guess since Jay Walker loves the Seminoles so much, maybe in honor of episode two we should feature an alternate player…bonus points if non-Florida State fans can figure out who this is!
Jay Walker has been in business for 25 years, starting as a one-man operation. After 10 years, he realized he wanted more, and now Jay has a five-truck business, and has expanded his offerings to include pressure washing and dryer vent cleaning.
And although he doesn’t mention it in the interview (how did THAT get by our research department?), Jay Walker has cleaned chimneys at the White House!
Among the many bits of wisdom and stories Jay provided us, here are some highlights:
- His first entrepreneurial experience came mowing his neighbor’s business’ lawn. His dad did him the honor of framing that first dollar for him, though motivated by what Jay describes as “a distraught moment” that dollar is long gone!
- His advice for your first hire: someone to answer phones in the office.
- One of his biggest moments of defeat…losing a long-time employee; someone who has been invested in with training and is a part of the family…
- E-tools? According to Jay, he would just as soon do away with all of them, but his website has been recently updated and prioritized, and he discusses using iPads and Dropbox in his business to make interfacing with the customer easier, more quickly, and wirelessly.
- Jay believes 90% of doing a great job is doing what you’ll say you’ll do when you say you’ll do it.
- When asked how sophisticated he sees trucks becoming in the next 30 years, Jay says, “Well, I think they’ll still have tires and a ladder rack…” Well said, Jay!
- Jay says that he doesn’t read much, but he does listen to John C. Maxwell, and appreciates his advice on leadership. When he does read, though, his go-to book is the Bible!
- As a side note…any link that you see in our show notes that link to Amazon provided a commission for us, and help keep our podcast going for all those who can benefit from our content. Thanks in advance if you happen to buy through our links!
Mailbag Question – The Most Important Marketing Tool, or How To Get A Free Dollar $$$$$$$$ From Clay!
Clay cannot express enough how important business cards are. If you ever see him out in public, feel free to ask him for one, and you’ll get a dollar if he doesn’t have it on him! (I’ve cashed in a few times myself…)
Have any questions specific to where you are as a home contracting business owner? Send us your questions or any other comments you might have…we listen or read to each one, and your question could be featured on a future podcast!
See you next episode, in which we chat with an internet home contracting legend!
— Chris —